Sunday, January 4, 2009

Scripture Memory

I was very touched by the sermon at BBC this weekend. Pastor John preached on John 15:1-8 but really focused on verse 7. "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you". He began the sermon by quoting scripture for 10-15 minutes. It was beautiful. It was especially poignant for me because the night before I heard the sermon, I was convicted of how I do not store up God's Word in my heart. So in light of this, I have a proposal.

Lets all memorize scripture together! A passage per week sounds good to me, but what's especially important is that we speak it to each other when we see one another. I'll probably go along with the BBC Fighter Verses usually, but this week I really wanted to use a passage that was very meaningful from my small group.

9 And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, 10 so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. 11 May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, 12 giving thanks [4] to the Father, who has qualified you [5] to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. 13 He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
Colossians 1:9-14

When you finish, write it in the comments from memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment