Friday, January 23, 2009

I Love To Sing

I was working today and was struck by a thought: I don't sing at work.

It's not that I can't sing at work, but that there are appropriate places to sing and inappropriate places to sing. If I just sang all day at my desk, I'm sure someone next to me would ask me to stop. It's not because they think I sound atrocious (I hope). It's more because it's distracting them from their tasks.

That got me thinking. I heard something not too long ago that really caught my attention: Christianity is a singing religion. I can't remember where I heard this (probably from Bob Kauflin), but the person compared Christianity with some other religions and showed some differences between the motivations to sing. I love singing, especially when the songs have some awesome meaning or truth behind them. I sometimes love the singing more than what I'm singing, and get so caught up in sounding good that I miss the weight of the words.

Last Saturday I went to some friends' house for a birthday party. We hung out for a while, just socializing, but then we all got together in the living room and started singing. It was so good to sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with each other!

The moral of this story:
Sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment