Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Those Who Are Sent

I see the relationships that the TBI guys have. I see how close the get to each other, to the BBC pastors, to the folks in the church. Then I read this, knowing it's true.

Jesus left us an example of investing in a select number of men. The Gospel of Mark tells us, "And he appointed twelve, so that they would be with him and that he could send them out to preach" (Mark 3:14). His aim was to be with them for a season, and then to send them out preaching.

Paul carried on this example of discipleship with Timothy. He invited Timothy to be with him for a season, and then he sent him out, instructing him to perpetuate the process to subsequent generations: "The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2 Tim. 2:2).

To enjoy such sweet fellowship and tight relationships, knowing that it is for the purpose of being sent, seems so bittersweet. All the things that would draw them to stay! (as I write this, I am reminded of how these men love the Gospel and desire for it to be spread) I am grateful that it is ultimately Christ for whom we learn and labor. Praise God!

I think what really stirs these feelings in me is my own situation. I am at an amazing church right now and I love it here! But I also realize that I'm being built into and growing for a purpose. Aren't all Christians called to spread the Gospel? Why do I feel this call so specifically to "go"??

An aside: I think I feel the pull to go because I have been given so much and see the need in the world. I am compelled to help/contribute/be useful. Some confusion comes from the Lord confirming that I should not be pursuing missions right now.

All this makes me glad that the Lord has brought me to Bethlehem at this point in my life. There's no where I'd rather be right now and I am confident that this church is where God wants me to be growing. May I remain faithful to the Lord's leading.

2 comments:

  1. I so resonate with these thoughts, friend.

    "To enjoy such sweet fellowship and tight relationships, knowing that it is for the purpose of being sent, seems so bittersweet. All the things that would draw them to stay!"

    Yes! I feel it.

    Why do you feel the call to "go"? We ALL should be feeling that call. What specifically that looks like for each person, this remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott! I'm so excited to see where God takes you!!!! I'll be praying for you as you seek His direction....

    ReplyDelete