Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gratitude For Singleness

Happy Singles Awareness Day!

Now most people associate February 14 with Valentines Day, but single folk know what I'm talking about. Today is the day that we get reminded of our relationship status. That's right, I'm talking about Singles Awareness Day (or we could just call it SAD)! So happy SAD!

I've been celebrating SAD for about 4 years now, and it has been good! I remember one particular year, during my sophomore year of college. I was living in the dorms and had written this little note on my whiteboard:
"Scott would like to apologize to all the ladies out there, he will not be your Valentine"
My sister read this and got a little creative. For the rest of the night, I got about 12 phone calls from everyone who happened to be at this house a bunch of girls lived at called "the quad". The one that really made me laugh was Carrie. She calls at about 11:45pm and, sounding completely serious, asks me to pray about it. I think I'll remember that night for the rest of my life. Thanks girls!



But seriously, I really appreciate being single. It sucks at times, but only when you are viewing things from the wrong perspective. I've been studying 1 Corinthians 7 lately and have been very convicted:
32 I want you to be free from anxieties. The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. 33 But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, 34 and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. 35 I say this for your own benefit, not to lay any restraint upon you, but to promote good order and to secure your undivided devotion to the Lord.
Am I anxious about the things of the Lord? This passage assumes that we are, and speaks to how being married distracts us from Him. I've been thinking about this all day, and it has really got me excited. I want to be anxious for the things of the Lord! I want my singleness to be something the Lord works out of! And I want other singles to be similarly burdened!

I'm so grateful we have scripture to teach and guide us! I'm praying that I am faithful to the Word.

1 comment:

  1. p.s. The SAD thing is just a joke, in case you didn't catch that ;-)

    ReplyDelete